Tweet C*Notes!

Friday, April 13, 2012

"Mel Gibson", by Joe Eszterhas


If there is anyone out there that ever had any doubt at all that Mel Gibson is an insane, violent, racist anti-semite...I submit to you the BOMBSHELL provided by The Wrap. They have acquired a letter written by Hollywood screenwriter Joe Eszterhas to Gibson...and let me tell you, it is RIVETING reading.

Here's a bit of the back story. We all know that Mel Gibson has basically watched his career tank after his numerous displays of psychotic behavior, from his "sugar-tits' DUI incident, to the ranting recordings made by ex-Oksana Grigorieva. In an attempt to make amends for his lunacy, he decided that his next film would be based on The Maccabees ("The Hammers"). He hired Mr. Eszterhas (Flashdance, Basic Instinct, Showgirls) to write the screenplay; probably the last smart move Gibson has made since. From this point, things go so horribly wrong that it's almost impossible to believe.

I will never be able to do justice to the story that Mr. Eszterhas has to tell, which he recounts in a "personal and confidential" letter to Gibson. I will post the first two pages here. The rest can, and should, be read at this link:



Who in their right mind could support Gibson after reading this personal account of his behavior? I mean, can anyone really watch any of those Lethal Weapon films, or Braveheart (which I am yet to see), or Passion of the Christ (which I am not interested in seeing) knowing that this is the kind of "man" he is? Well, I guess if you're a bigot, or a sociopath, or a batterer of women, you can't see anything wrong with his behavior.

This is the obvious takeaway: Mel Gibson is out of his mind. I honestly don't think there is a drug in the world that could temper this kind of behavior. NO amount of therapy is going to fix this man. He is clearly sick, deranged, and dangerous. He is unfit to care for his little girl, he is undeserving of the friends that have stood by him, and he has NO BUSINESS reaping the rewards of his Hollywood success. If he were any other man, he would be rotting in a jail cell by now.

Of course, Gibson has written a response to this so-called accusations, in the form of an open letter, which can be read in its entirety at TMZ:

"I have your letter. I am not going to respond to it line by line, but I will say that the great majority of the facts as well as the statements and actions attributed to me in your letter are utter fabrications. I would have thought that a man of principle, as you purport to be, would have withdrawn from the project regardless of the money if you truly believed me to be the person you describe in your letter. I guess you only had a problem with me after Warner Brothers rejected your script..."
 Personally, I don't believe him. This is the remarkable thing here-- why would one of the most successful screenwriters in Hollywood make something like this up? What could he possibly have to gain by lying about Gibson's behavior? Does anyone really believe that Mr. Eszterhas wrote this letter because Warner Bros. hated his script? I'm sure he's be rejected by studios before-- why would he be so upset about it that he decided to write a PERSONAL letter to Gibson. Keep that in mind, Esterhas' letter was a private one (until it was leaked), and this was followed by Gibson sending an open letter to TMZ. That is a seriously cowardly move right there. And I love the "I won't respond  line by line" defense-- that is the call of someone who has been painted in a corner and has NO DEFENSE for their behavior, other than deflecting.  I don't even believe that he wrote that letter. It would be incredibly difficult to even write your name in the midst of a meltdown. You KNOW he lost his shit while he was reading that letter-- IF he even made it past page 2! This is nothing but more bullshit.

Seriously, Mel...give it up. It's over. If it wasn't over before, it's most DEFINITELY over now (and will be more so, when Joe's son's audio recording comes out). NO ONE will hire you. NO ONE will want to work with you. You are a dangerous, horrible excuse for a man, and you need to stay isolated in your Costa Rican villa to live out the rest of your days in solitude.


No comments: