Tweet C*Notes!

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Drive: Movie Review


It's been a LONG TIME since I've written a movie review. Frankly, it's been a long time since I've seen a movie worth writing about. Who am I kidding-- it's been a long time since watched movies on a regular basis AT ALL; it's what happens when you have kids. It's because I have kids, however, that I have changed my movie-watching habits. Now, when my infant son wakes me up at 3am, while I'm up with him, I put on a movie. I've actually been able to see a few films this way. The most recent one I've seen is a small, but powerful, film called Drive-- directed by Nicolas Winding Refn (Bronson, Pusher).

I LOVED this movie. It made me think of John Hughes, if he was still alive, and was inspired by Quentin Tarantino films and decided that he wanted to do something a bit different. Everything from the story, to the 80s-inspired soundtrack, the look and feel, and the OH SO COOL performance by Ryan Gosling...this movie is a great one! Gosling plays a driver-for-hire, whose life as a driver is about to change when he gets involved with a couple of heavies (Ron Pearlman and Albert Brooks, who both give great performances). Along the way, he befriends and falls for his neighbor, played very sweetly by Carey Mulligan-- who's jailbird husband also ends up in the mix of the Driver's world.

I don't want to say too much more about this film. I ended up seeing it without knowing anything about it (my favorite way to see a movie), and was PLEASANTLY surprised. I will say that the first 10-15 minutes is incredible-- reminded me of why people loved Bullitt back in the day:




If you liked this scene, Drive will kick your ass!

1 comment:

Shak said...

I LOVED this movie too. It was everything that I love about film.