Tweet C*Notes!

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Interracial Couples Banned...From Church in Kentucky



American society just keeps on churning out the ass-backward morons and bigots! A community church in Pike County, Kentucky-- in an effort to improve their so-called quality of life-- has voted to ban interracial couples from attending their church services. This decision came in the wake of an appearance by a young woman named Stella Harville and her finance Ticha Chikuni, who accompanied Stella on piano as she sang a song during a service. This was the church that Stella was baptized in, the church that she attended as a child. But because she decided to marry an African man, members of the church turned them away.

"It's not the spirit of the community in any way, shape or form," Randy Johnson, president of the Pike County Ministerial Association.

The proposal, drawn up by church members, states that "parties of such marriages will not be received as members, nor will they be used in worship services...is not intended to judge the salvation of anyone, but is intended to promote greater unity among the church body and the community we serve." So basically, with the exception of funerals, interracial couples are not permitted at Gulnare Freewill Baptist Church.

I'm sure there are quite a few of you that are surprised by this. I am not. And I'm willing to bet you that 95% of black folks are not surprised by this either. When you live in a society whose beginnings were focused on making your people 3rd class citizens, no matter how long and how much things have changed...the other shoe will ALWAYS drop.

White folks are presumed racist until proven otherwise. That's a sad thing to say, but it's true. I am the last person that wants to think negatively of others based on race...but I have to tell you, in my experience it's somewhat warranted. Look, I grew up with white folks. Ever since I was 8 years old, I have been either the only, or one of a few, black folks in a sea of white faces. From grade school, to college, to my professional life-- white-white-white-white-white-white-white-white-white. Does that bother me? Not really. If anything bothered me, it was black folks being down on me for either hanging out with white folks-- and this was mostly coming from inner-city black folks that didn't have much experience in dealing with white people other than the filmed footage they would see from the Civil Rights movement in the 50s and 60s.

For the most part, I have not had many negative experiences with white folks when it comes to racism. I think it's save to say that in my lifetime,  I've had issues with 3 out of 10 white folks. I'm talkin' completely unprovoked racist shit-- using the word "nigger" in a negative context, following me in stores, having doors slammed in my face, dirty looks-- mostly passive-aggressive bullshit, but clearly motivated by race. I'm not one of these people that sees racism in a game of pool or somesuch shit. I know it when I see it. And every white face I see, that I don't know, has that question lingering in the back of my mind: "Is this another one of those assholes I have to deal with now?"

Just when you think that it's ONLY gay marriage that we have to deal with anymore. Racist shit in America will NEVER go away. Is it as mainstream as it was even 20 years ago? Nope. Now, MTV has no problem playing videos from black artists (some say that's all they do these days). Now, there is more than one show on television featuring an educated black family (Cosby Show was groundbreaking for its time). And now, interracial couples are on the rise-- it's so common that names like "coal miners" and "jungle fever" are dated and ridiculous.

Face it, folks...we're never gonna get rid of assholes like these church people. They have their own little slice of the world that they can control-- miniscule in the grand scheme of things. If they want to isolate themselves from the rest of the union, let them. All we can do is educate our kids, live our lives, and watch these poor ignorant folks die.


1 comment:

MadCarlotta said...

As someone who went to Baptist school in Florida, I can't say this surprised me either.

I will say though, that happily I had never heard the term "coal miner" used in this manner until just now.