Tweet C*Notes!

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

"...I am your father."


Man, I remember the night that my parents took me and my brother to see The Empire Strikes Back. I know I was INSANE with excitement! We had seen Star Wars three years earlier at a drive-in movie theater, and it was damn-near a religious experience. I was only five at the time, and I remember it vividly-- although I had no idea at the time that it was such a ground-breaking film. But no matter how awe-inspiring A New Hope was, nothing could prepare us for what The Empire Strikes Back would reveal.

The movie itself is pretty amazing-- quite possibly the best film of the entire series. It's the point in the first trilogy when everything falls apart. And it's the moment when Luke first faces Darth Vader. It's a harrowing moment, when Vader chops off Luke's hand, and corners him. Then it happens. I remember a pronounced collective gasp-- EVERY person in that movie theater was shocked. It was a big deal, after all-- NO ONE saw it coming! It's a moment that I hope to relive with my kids, in the same way that YouTube user "bashthemonkey" was able to capture, when he video'd his kids at that key moment.

This is quite possibly one of the best clips I've seen in a long time!


No comments: