Tweet C*Notes!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Spider-Man is Black Now?!


Well, talk about being out of the loop...I am WAAAAAAAY OUT OF IT!!

(SPOILER ALERT)

First of all, I had NO IDEA that Marvel has killed off Peter Parker. In the 160th issue of "Ultimate Spider-Man", he is killed while trying to save Aunt May from the Green Goblin. Kind of poetic, since he has always felt responsible for his Uncle Ben's death (well...he WAS kind of responsible-- he let the killer go, after all...):

This has now given room to introduce an entirely new Spider-man, who is younger and from a completely different background. From what I've read...and I honestly have not read a lot...he is half-black and half-Hispanic:


There are many people on the inter-webs saying that the decision to make Spider-man more "ethnic', as it were, was inspired by Donald Glover trying to make a bid to become the next Spider-man in the reboot of the film franchise. This apparently is not the revamp/reboot of the entire Marvel Universe that DC Comics is doing...but it's still interesting.

I will say that this will be a great place to get my little boy into some of this stuff (he's 6 months old right now). Not that I wouldn't want him to learn the mythology of these characters, but it's a bit daunting I must say. I was born in the early 70s, and there was still a lot to take in when I got into comics. Add 40 years onto what's already existed...well, maybe rebooting wouldn't be such a bad thing. It'd be great to get a new generation into this stuff. At a time when conventions like ComiCon are HUGE events, it makes sense. When I was a kid, the only places you could get comics were at little "conventions" in hotel/motel basements, or book stores that had a crappy selection.

On top of all of this, when I was growing up there were little or NO black super heroes. I mean, you had Luke Cage (Power Man) and Blade...but that was about it. So for my son (MAYBE my daughter) to have super heroes that look like them...that's pretty freakin' cool to me!

Maybe the next generation will come up with new and interesting characters to go along side the establishment. And maybe they will mirror the American Experience more so than when I was a kid.

No comments: