Tweet C*Notes!

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Earthquake 2011: The East Coast

Wow, talk about creepy, man... So I was sitting in my office, finishing up a project I was working on and getting ready to go out for lunch. Suddenly, I felt this odd sensation. At first I thought it was the way my chair had moved, but it wasn't just the chair...it was all around me. Not hard, not severe, but enough to be very noticable. I thought that maybe it was just me, until I saw nearly everyone in my office stand up, with wide eyes and confusion on their faces. "What was that?" someone asked. "Was that an earthquake?" someone else asked. Then 3/4 of the office fled. The rest of us looked out the windows (we're on the 10th floor) wondering what the hell that was-- was in construction, or a small explosion?. Then the Fire Chief's voice boomed over the loudspeaker: "Please evacuate the building". So we did.

From what I've gathered so far, this was a 5.9 earthquake originating about 30 miles outside of Richmond, VA. That's pretty amazing, that we were able to feel that from all the way in New York City! My mom, who lives in South Jersey, felt the house shake. And there are folks that felt it as far north as Connecticut. In addition, the White House, Pentagon, and Capital Building were evacuated as well. So I guess this is what happens when you elect a black president that allows gays to marry and provides health care for all Americans. Stay tuned to see how the Republicans spin THIS one.

You know what's wild-- the NY Daily News had an article about whether or not an earthquake could hit New York City, which was published five months ago! At this point, no one knows how it happened or why. Well, maybe they do-- but I haven't heard anything about it yet, and can't really write about it. I can say that for a split second I had a 9/11 flash back, which was a bit horrifying. Even my cellphone wouldn't work, which also happened on 9/11. After feeling that initial shake, I waited for something horrible to happen. But it didn't.

Well, I think the worse thing that happened was that we had to go back into the building when everything was cleared. I wanted to go to a bar! Oh well...maybe the next "disaster"....


1 comment:

MadCarlotta said...

I felt it up here in Canada! I am only on the fourth floor, but the building was swaying and I felt like I was going to barf.