Tweet C*Notes!

Thursday, March 3, 2011

They've Remade "Arthur". WHY?!


The original "Arthur" came out in 1981, and it is by far one of my favorite movies. It's one of the VERY few movies that my mother actually quotes-- it has some of the funniest lines ever written in a comedy. Dudley Moore is outstanding, and his chemistry with Sir John Gielgud cemented one of the greatest on-screen duos that you will EVER see in a movie. And of course, there's Liza. The movie is well-written, well-acted, well-directed-- it is a classic. So why the f**k are they remaking it?!

This new one features Russel Brand as Arthur, and Helen Mirren as the Hobson character that Gielgud played. A woman named Greta Gerwig (sorry, I have no idea who she is) is playing the Liza Minnelli part. And, get this...Luiz Guzman plays Bitterman, Arthur's driver (who was originally played by Ted Ross-- the Lion from The Wiz!). Now you're probably thinking-- well, the casting is not all that bad...what could possibly go wrong? Well...I could go on a lengthy rant about how wrong this is....or I could just let the work speak for itself.

Here is the trailer for the original "Arthur":





And now, this is the trailer for the new "Arthur":




I don't know about you, but I did not laugh ONCE at the trailer for the new film. I laughed a lot at the 1981 trailer. Seriously, I don't know WHO could have possibly thought the new script was funny! And it doesn't even look as if the new Arthur is an alcoholic! That was the whole damn point of the first film! That's why the "a" is tilted in the title! That's why they called the sequel Arthur 2: On The Rocks!

Look, I like the actors in the new film. I just think that, once again, the talent out there is wasted on a studio system that only wants to produce remakes and sequels. Jesus, they're even talking about making sequels and prequels to Blade Runner! Why can't they just leave things alone?! Come up with new shit! People WANT to see new shit! And I say, in this case...if you want to see Arthur, buy it or rent it. Don't waste your money on this new crap.

No comments: