Tweet C*Notes!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tetsuo: The Bullet Man


This is a blast from the past for me! Summer of 1991. Just finished my first year of school, made my first 16mm short film, made new friends-- all that good stuff. One of those friends called me during the summer break and told me that I needed to come up to school and meet him at the Media Arts building; he had seen a film that had changed his life, and I HAD TO SEE IT. Well, being the film geek that I am...surely I would not pass up an opportunity to see a life-changing film...! That film was called Tetsuo: The Iron Man:



If you haven't seen this film, you MUST NOW. It's a little over an hour long, and it's got a SHIT TON of energy. The  sheer audacity of what this guy does is stunning. You could literally freeze any frame in the film, blow up the image, and hang it on your wall-- it's a gorgeous movie.

We had seen the film about 2 years after it was initially released. The year after we saw this film, it's sequel was released-- Tetsuo 2: Body Hammer:



This one I never saw. I heard it was horrible, so I didn't really bother looking for it. In fact, this trailer is the first time I've every seen anything from it(!). It'd give it a shot-- it doesn't really look that bad to me. I haven't pursued it since because I haven't really thought about these films for a long time. Until I saw the posting at /Film about the release of a THIRD Tetsuo film!



Looks like they're going after the Iron Man thing. Fair enough. Looks like their giving up on the stop-motion stuff, and using some 2d animation and some CG. And the director of the first two is back-- and this his is first English-language film.

It'll be available on-demand on the 01/19/11, and in theaters on 01/21/11. I don't know if I'll make it to the theaters to see it, but I will DEFINITELY watch it on-demand. I think that's the way to go.



PS....

This is a clip from one of his first films:

No comments: