Tweet C*Notes!

Monday, January 31, 2011

"Shut Up Little Man!" Documentary


I guess I must have first heard "Shut Up Little Man" back in the early-to-mid 90s. This series was introduced to me by a friend of mine who was into so-called subversive entertainment like this. As it was originally introduced to me, it's basically a series of recordings these two guys made of their neighbors-- an old gay couple. Not very interesting upon hearing it, unless you're imagining that you'd be hearing these two guys bangin' each other. The thing that makes this interesting, and entertaining, AND sad is that these two guys are constantly in the throws of loud, nasty, violent confrontation. There is yelling, cursing, fighting-- the cops are called. And there's talk of some guy named Tony. This is Peter and Raymond.

Now, after all these years, someone has committed the story of these tapes to film, which has premiered at Sundance this year:


SHUT UP LITTLE MAN! AN AUDIO MISADVENTURE A montage of Little Men... from Closer Productions on Vimeo.

The trailer doesn't show much other than people quoting lines from  the tapes (like the infamous "crucifixion of dinner"). I have to say, I'm very very interested in seeing this. It's great to be able to finally have some real context into the real lives of these people. I've always been fascinated by the stories behind sensations like this. It kinda reminds me of the documentary that was made about the Winnebago salesman Jack Renby:



But I digress...

For those of you that have no idea what "Shut Up Little Man!" is...here ya go.

I guess this means that it's only a matter of time before we see a filmed version of The Gorch ("How's about it!").

No comments: