Tweet C*Notes!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Ricky Gervais v. Gay Scientolotists


I'm truly surprised that Hollywood and the Foreign Press was surprised by Ricky Gervais' performance as host of the Golden Globes. I can't imagine what they were expecting from this guy-- I mean, it's not as if he didn't piss people off last year. But you know the Hollywood types-- most can't really take a joke, or laugh at themselves. It's not as if no one has ever uttered the things that Gervais said, not only at this year's Golden Globes, but last years as well. Hell, I've heard people say a lot worse-- we all have! But I guess if you live in a bubble, it's not always nice when someone else farts inside of it.



Gervais was by far the most interesting thing about that show; he, and the reactions that he provoked from the crowd-- OH, they were not happy! What's shocking is that he hit them with that gay Scientology joke right out of the gate, which elicited many, MANY boos-- I'm sure to many of the people in there,  his joke was akin to Michael Richards yelling "nigger" at that comedy club. I loved his little aside after the joke: "Oh come on! They're not here..." And they were not. But, one of their (alleged) boyfriends was.


Okay, so this was a obviously a Tom Cruise and John Travolta reference. Not that they are gay with each other, but that they are in fact gay. These are stories that people have been hearing for many, many, many years. Nothing new to some people, but still new to a few. And the fact that they are Scientologists makes things even more "interesting". Word is that The Church of Scientology is vehemently anti-gay. Well, maybe that's not fair to say-- seeing that they allegedly have a lot of gay followers. It's not that they hate homosexuality...it's probably more of a case of "love the sinner, hate the sin." Scientology is said to be able to help alleviate you of "the gay". They will work to not only help rid you of the urges, but they will go out of their way to protect your interests and privacy.

Is any of this true? I dunno. I mean, I guess it could be. I know that Hollywood folk don't like airing laundry like this; you're not supposed to talk smack about your fellow actors. And of course Scientologists will feel as if they are being attacked-- but I don't expect them to respond to Gervais' bit. I think they would much rather just actively snub him and his projects.

I suppose this means that any chance or hopes of one of these people "coming out" any time soon is slim to none.

Who knows-- it's none of our business. Right?

No comments: