Tweet C*Notes!

Friday, November 19, 2010

Arcade Fire's "The Suburbs", Directed by Spike Jones

I have really come to enjoy The Arcade Fire. I didn't really know their work until a few months ago, when their third album, "The Suburbs", was released. I really had no intention of listening to it, but then a friend of mine sent me a link to their video/web experiment for the song "We Used to Wait" called "The Wilderness Downtown" (which is a line from the song). I got the album, then listened to it about 8 times in 2 weeks. Then I got their first two albums, and...that was it for me. I'm a fan.

So when I discovered that Spike Jones (one of my favorite filmmakers) directed their latest video for the title track of "The Suburbs", I was very excited and curious. And it's a GREAT video-- more of a short film than anything else:


The spooky thing about this short film is how true-to-life it could be. I could see this country moving in this direction over the next 10-15 years. Well, if you listen to Alex Jones, we're practically already there.

Another interesting thing about "The Suburbs" is that Spike has said that this is a smaller part of a science fiction film that he and The Arcade Fire are working on.  That's pretty freaking exciting.

No comments: