Tweet C*Notes!

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Bibleman

I don't know why this popped into my head. I worked on a movie 'zine MANY years ago that had a featured a story about this show called Bibleman-- a Batman-like superhero who is a "human transformed by the Word of God." Don't believe me? Check the link. STILL don't believe me? Cue the Tube of You:






Yeah, that's right-- that's Willie Aames of TV's Charles In Charge, and motion picture Zapped!. Funny that someone can go from Zapped! to Bibleman, but...there ya go. Aames played Bibleman from 1994-2006. Believe it or not, this is a HUGE franchise, with videos, books, toys, even a stage show that plays to sold-out crowds all over the Midwest! I mean, talk about indoctrinating kids-- this is nothing but Christian propaganda being sold to kids. It's pretty thick and a bit scary-- just check out this episode where Bibleman goes on a talk show, hosted by Sammy Davey. Can you tell what religion Sammy belongs to?


Makes you sick, doesn't it? But why stop there:


I know, right? Speaking as a father, I have no problems with teaching my kids good values-- you have to! I was raised with good values...but without the Bible. My problems with religion by-and-large are not necessarily with the people that practice any of them. If that's what you want to believe, knock yourself out. If you want your kids to watch this silly crap, fair enough. But I hate the self-righteousness. Putting down other people, and their beliefs, to prop your own up on a pedestal is wrong. It's funny how Vanity is one of the 7 sins...but most religious people are incredibly vain. To think that you are a better person because you believe in certain things is just downright foolish. Personally, I find religious beliefs to be archaic and silly. But I would never put people down for it...until you start trying to shove your beliefs down everyone's throat, like Kirk Cameron for instance.

Believe what you want. But the moment you get all douchey about it...you're likely to get embarrassed.

'Nuff said.

No comments: