Tweet C*Notes!

Saturday, February 13, 2010

"We Are The World" Redeux: I Wish They Didn't



CNN just aired the remake of the 80s classic "We Are The World", once again featuring an all-star cast. But unlike the original, it also featured a lot of awful singing...if you even want to call it singing.


I mean, it was one of the worst things I have ever heard. Maybe it's because I'm "old", I dunno. When I had first heard that they were remaking the song, the first thought that came to my mind was "why?!". There was nothing wrong with the original. They could have just remastered and re-released the original and called it a day; it would have sold very well, and they could have made a new video with intercut footage of the Haitian tragedy, and I think most people would have been happy with that; I know I would have bought a remastered version of the original song. But this monstrosity that they debuted tonight...it was garbage.


Watch the original, and compare it to the new one (as of this posting, a link does not exist, other than this report from Entertainment Tonight). In the original, you see and hear people actually singing. In the new one, it's a bunch of people screaming and yelling. You have Wyclef Jean sounding like someone gutting a cat. Then you have Li'l Wayne singing with that ROBOT VOICE crap that all the non-singers are using today. Are you kidding me?! All of this, and people like Gladys Knight, who was in the chorus, doesn't get a major part?! Oh sure, you give a part to Fergie, but not Gladys Knight?!

The media was making a big deal out of the fact that Vince Vaughn showed up at the recording of the song. I heard many people asking whether or not he could sing. But let me tell you, listening to this remake of a classic song...NONE OF THESE PEOPLE can sing. None of them. Yeah, Usher was there-- so what? Or the Jo-nass brothers-- big deal. You're going to hold them up to Ray Charles, or Stevie Wonder, or Michael Jackson, or even Daryl Hall, or Huey Lewis, or Cyndi Lauper?! Not. Even. Close.

I hate to be negative about this, because it is a worthy cause; the people of Haiti really do need our help. But why not make NEW songs?! Where are all the song writers out there to come up with new songs for a noble cause?! Why repackage a song, that did not need to be remade, and see crap to people?! To me, that's not taking the cause seriously. Things were different in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, when people wrote original songs whenever there was a cause to be brought to the forefront. Even with 9/11, they remade Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On"; and I hated that too.

My advise to all that care...listen to the original. And this time, instead of Ethiopia, think of Haiti. You'll at least be far more moved to do something.

No comments: