Tweet C*Notes!

Monday, January 4, 2010

Scripps Vs. Cablevision: Or, Stop Your F**KING Fighting and Give Me My Food TV!!!





Those of us that use Cablevision were shocked on New Year's Day when we found out that FoodTV and HGTV were completely blacked out. Now, I don't watch television all that much. And I love cooking and food. So when I DO watch television, especially when there's nothing really on and I want to watch SOMETHING, I'll tune into Food TV; that and Comedy Central are usually my go-to channels. Now, apparently because Scribbs, the company that carries Food TV, is holding out for more money; they were getting paid .25 cents per subscriber through Cablevision-- they claim other cable providers pay more.

So, both companies are playing hardball with each other, and the consumer (once again) gets screwed. At this point, I don't care who's right or wrong. I want my goddamn channel! But this may very well be the way things will be from now on. As more and more people get their content from the internet, networks will be losing money, and will start charging cable providers and subscribers MORE MONEY for content. So now, cable providers will start buying networks to save costs  (NBC/Comcast for example). We are already paying for dozens of channels we don't even watch (I only really watch 8 of them-- maybe less).

In the mean time, I guess I'll have to ask friends and family to record Ace of Cakes or Everyday Italian for me. And I guess it's only a matter of time before they pass the Net Neutrality legislation. Then, we'll all have to pay a subscription to use  Google. Can you imagine?!

No comments: