Tweet C*Notes!

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year!



2010, holy crap! Remember thinking about what 2010 would be like? I was born in the early 70s, and I'm a sci-fi nerd, so I've been thinking about it for a while. And you know what? Not what I expected.

I mean, no flying cars-- I can give that a pass. I know Bladerunner predicted a 2019 where flying cars appear to have been around for at least 50 years; it looked like on law enforcement and the rich owned them, so it was an exclusive thing. And, well, there's the terraforming with humanoid android-thing, too. And we are nowhere NEAR that. But the cool thing is that we're close! There have been several flying cars in development for years, and one even went on sale last year...









It's close! So close! As for the android thing, believe it or not...it's not bad, either...







Technology-wise, in comparison to movies, we're probably closer to the Speilberg future; AI and Minority Report are probably the closest representation of where we're headed. Arthur C. Clarke was WAY off.

But I guess the new year means more than just looking ahead. What were you doing 10 years ago? What was your life like? Who were your friends? I know my life has changed in oh so many ways. Some things for the better, some things not so good. But that's okay, right? Life goes on. We've entered a new decade! It's that little marker that we give ourselves-- that self-imposed chapter break, where we can reassess our lives and make our next moves. And in 2020, we'll be doing and saying some of the same things. And 2030, 2040, and so on and so one.

Here's something kinda neat. This is a 'then v. now' comparison chart I found over at Wallet Pop. I love how a Mac is now $500 cheaper. Shit, I remember when the NES was $500. Technology always seems to get cheaper. I have a flat screen LCD television now. I remember when they were $15,000 (a little over 10 years ago).

So, off we go, boys and girls. It's another 10 years gone by, and another 10 years to look forward to. I hope the next decade is good to all of you. Some of us could use it. And to you lucky motherf*****s...well, good for you.   ;)

No comments: