Tweet C*Notes!

Monday, December 7, 2009

The Ed Hardy Experience

Don Ed Hardy is a tattoo artist from Southern California that originally studied the art under Sailor Jerry before moving to Japan in 1973 to study under Japanese tattoo master Horihide. Since then, he's made a very big name for himself in the tattoo world, with what was considered to be a unique blend of American and classical Japanese aesthetics.

Fast-forward to 2004, he teams up with French designer Christian Audigier to create a line of clothing called "Ed Hardy", which consist of your staple items like shirts, ties, jeans, underwear, socks, sneakers, etc...but with Ed Hardy artwork plastered all over them.

As well-intentioned as the designer and artist may have been, this line of clothing has been co-opted by what many people are describing as the "douche-bag" movement. It seems as if these clothes are the official outfit of MTV reality stars, gym-freaks, and fake-tan lovers. That criticism aside, I'm not really a fan of paying $80 for a t-shirt. And if I HAD $80 to spend on a t-shirt, I'm not sure I would wear anything this tacky:


Look, MAYBE 20 years ago, when I was in high school, I MAY have bought into this stuff...but that's a big "MAYBE". I'm sure it would have been something I wore once, and then it'd get lost in my closet. Although, if I took it out now, it'd be "vintage" and cool. But then, Ed Hardy would be something else. Oh well, time-travel aside...it seems like there are always designers like this that pop up and sell well, regardless of taste or cost. Look at the whole Tommy Hilfiger thing in the 80s-90s. Those clothes were BUTT UGLY, and supposedly made for the "yacht" set....but was co-opted by the "urban" set (that means black people).

So, to each his/her own. That makes me think-- I showed a bunch of guys clothing. Now, if I was single and/or young, what would I see Ed Hardy-loving women wearing:




...eh. No thank you.

No comments: