Tweet C*Notes!

Friday, December 11, 2009

BBDO-shit, Why Do You Guys Keep Losing Clients?

BBDO New York has just cut 20 people from their staff, in the wake of the loss of one of their biggest clients, Pizza Hut. I can't say that I'm surprised, because I worked for BBDO for a little over two years before I was laid off last year when they cut 200 employees. And for the same reason; loss of clients.

It's a shame that for a company whose' mantra is "The Work, The Work, The Work", so little care and attention and creativity actually goes into that work. In my time there, I've seen so many creative people get so frustrated by the over-all piss-poor management of the accounts. I watched their most talented people leave, having felt as if their energy would be better spent at a smarter-run agency. I saw shitty producers, lack-luster Creative Directors, and talentless Art Directors pass through that company, especially in the interactive division; how can you design for a media that you don't fully understand? That's the biggest problem with that company-- they're the sinking ship that keeps the dead weight, and throw away the life preservers. It's a shame that a company with such a historical reputation can't seem to get it together.

I still have friends there, and I wish them well-- as always. But I worry about them. Good employees are constantly at the mercy of bad managers. And when a company fails to deliver, they should be laying off from the top down, not the other way around. But that's the folly of business-- punish the workers, the ones who MAKE your business what it is...and coddle the CEOs and Directors and Executive Senior Consultant Officers...even when they continue to make bad decisions.

No comments: