Tweet C*Notes!

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

"Hey! That chinky, white-trash, kike, dot-head spic called me a nigger!"

Ah, America! We've never had a shortage of people to hate. And I don't know what's worse...the ignorance or the divisiveness.

Let me tell you a short story: When I was 10 years old, me and my family went on a road trip to Florida to visit Disney World. This was 1982 (wow, I'm old...but I digress). It took us about 3 days to get down there, on the second day, we stopped in Georgia. We booked a room in a motel to stay the night before we continued down to Florida, and while we were here we decided to go swimming. I'm not a fan of swimming, so I really wasn't looking forward to it. When we got to the pool it was packed. We got in, and my dad tried to teach me how to swim by holding me vertically in the water...and I commenced the freaking out. I HATED it, was scared to death, and that was it. And we got out of the pool and went back to the room. It wasn't until about year or two later that I was talking to my mom about a film about the civil rights movement called "Eyes on the Prize" that we were watching in class (it was February). And I made a comment about how I was glad that people don't act like that anymore. Then mom reminded me about our trip to Florida, and our stop in Georgia, and the pool that we went to. She asked me if I remembered that the pool was packed when we got there, and I did. Then she asked me if I remembered that the pool was empty within 3 minutes after we got there. And...I remembered that too. I just wasn't paying attention because I was too busy trying not to drown. But she was right. We were the only black family in that pool. And all the white people saw us, grabbed their kids, and left. In fact, the only people left was an elderly white couple. And I remember them being very nice. After that, my mom told me how when we got to Florida, when she and two of my aunts were walking from a grocery story, a group of white kids drove by and shouted "NIGGERS! NIGGERS!!" at them. I was stunned.

Recently, MSNBC featured an article about how racial harassment is still a very big problem in workplaces such as factories and retail stores. And even in the presidential campaigns, how the Clintons have passive-aggressively been using race to gain and maintain the support from the African-American community that they've comfortably enjoyed since the early 1990s. And, incidentally, this is not just a black problem... After 9/11 there were several physical and verbal attacks against innocent Muslim and Arab Americans. And the anti-brown rhetoric being spewed in the face of the so-called immigration issue in this country, blaming Mexicans and other brown people for stealing American jobs. I see all of this, and I hear what people are saying, and the only thing I can think is...God, we really are THAT stupid, aren't we? Just a bunch of mindless sheep, just buying into piles after piles of bullshit, and at the same time ignoring the real issues that effect ALL Americans.

Here's a news flash that may be surprising to most people: THE RACE ISSUE IS A MYTH. Period. It's a fallacy, propagated by the powerful few to divide and conquer the populous, so that while we're all fighting each other, they can do their crooked bidding. Sounds a bit conspiratorial, but that is what a conspiracy is, isn't it? Not nut-job UFO or 9/11 stuff...but it's a very convenient social problem to have.

I have this conversation quite a bit, especially with other black people. Personally, I'm sick and tired of hearing the same "white man" excuse from black men. Yes, there was one point in our history in this country that our people represented the slave class...for the most part. What a lot of American blacks don't know is that we weren't all slaves. Some of us were indentured servants (along with some whites and others) that worked there way to freedom. Some of us were not slaves at all. Some of us, in fact, owned slaves.

And not all white people were for slavery; many opposed it. So, it had to be "marketed" to the population as a way to "help" these poor African savages-- these animals, these child-like beings, were dragged from the jungle to save them from themselves. "And we will take these poor savages in...we will clothe them, feed them, teach them about God to remove the devil from them...and in exchange, the will do the work that we so desperately need them to do!" See that? So, it's okay because we're actually helping these people out!

But now we have a new slave class in America...the Mexicans. But they don't work for free-- they're paid what are called "slave wages". And if it's not Mexicans picking our fruit, or washing dishes, or doing landscaping work and cleaning public restrooms (work, by the way, that apparently blacks won't do...anymore...), we also have brown people in other countries that are answering our customer service lines, or animating our favorite television shows. When you watch the news, the talking heads and the public are constantly blaming these people from stealing our jobs. In reality, it's white-owned corporations and business that are outsources and giving away American jobs to these brown people so they don't have to pay "greedy Americans" what they're actually worth...and they also don't have to worry about paying their health insurance either(!). You can't fuel a slave-based economy when your hemorrhaging money to pay your employees...that's just silly! You silly liberal moron!

And those Clintons...those goddamn Clintons-- boy, who'd have thought that Barrack could intimidate them SO MUCH that they would play the race card (and the female card...) to show us blacks that your can't trust this...black guy to run this country. Sure, they didn't come right out and say that-- they're politicians, not idiots! But they'll get jackass Bob "BET" Johnson to make moronic comments. And after all, they're the Clintons! Remember Bill? He LOVES black people! **insert bad Bill Clinton impression** Come on, guys, remember?! Remember what they did for y'all?! You're not ingrates, are you?! Ingrates!!

I'm fortunate enough to live in New York City, where I can surround myself with people that don't have their heads wedged up their poopers when it comes to this garbage. I honestly can't believe that we're still even talking about this nonsense. And it's not even like we're really talking about it. Granted, it's not as in-your-face as it was up through the 1960s-80s...in fact, the passive-aggressive nature of it kinda makes it worse. People are way too cowardly to express these things out loud. And when "they" are not around...we can really talk about "these things." You know who "they" are. We all have our "they." Our "them." And we're "their" "them" too.

But this is America. Like my mother used to say, "America always needs someone to hate."Which is a good thing, 'cause we all hate each other.

Just keep it to yourself...

...N-word...!

No comments: